In his 1985 statewide study of black slaveholders in South Carolina, Larry Koger challenged the benevolent view. He found that the majority of black slaveholders appeared to hold slaves as a commercial decision. For instance, he noted that in 1850 more than 80% of black slaveholders were of mixed race, but nearly 90% of their slaves were classified as black. He also noted that a number of small artisans in Charleston held slaves to help with their businesses.
- · Work is a virtue with significant value beyond a pay check. The Work Projects Administration; WPA was the largest and most ambitious American New Deal Agency, employing millions of unemployed people (mostly unskilled men) to carry out public works projects, including the construction of public buildings and roads. Black workers were well represented in the WPA crews. About 10% of WPA workers were black, which was about the same percentage as the blacks in the general population
- · The election of Roosevelt in 1932 marked the beginning of a change. He got 71 percent of the black vote for president in 1936, and did nearly that well in the next two elections. But even then, the number of blacks identifying themselves as Republicans was about the same as the number who thought of themselves as Democrats.
- · The Tuskegee Airmen is the popular name of a group of African-American military fighter and bomber pilots who fought in World War II. In July of 1944 the Tuskegee Pilots received the North American P-51 Mustang, the most agile Warbird of World War II. They really distinguished themselves, and became American heroes. It became very difficult to think of a college educated black man who was an officer in the U. S. Military, and the hero pilot of a “Mustang” protecting our bomber crew, as just some Nigger.
- · In early 1948, Harry Truman issued an order Desegregating the armed services, and an executive order setting up regulations against racial bias in federal employment. Truman garnered 77 percent of the black vote in 1948, and for the first time the majority of blacks reported that they thought of themselves as Democrats.
- · If you participate in criminal behavior you are a criminal, and you don’t deserve to be treated as an equal with law abiding citizens.
- · If your demographic group commits more crime than other demographic groups you will be looked upon with suspicion, even if you personally are not a criminal.
- · If your demographic group has a large number of dysfunctional families, your children will not be well adjusted nor do well in school or the workplace.
- · If your demographic group has a large percentage of “fatherless” children, your culture is sick and does not deserve equality.
- · If your demographic group has a high drop-out rate for high school, you are not the equal of educated people.
- · If your demographic group uses illegal drugs and abuses alcohol you will not be the equal of sober responsible people.
- · If you cannot properly read, write, and speak the language of your country, do not expect equal treatment when you apply for a job or interact with those who are fluent with the primary language.
- · If you behave hatefully toward other demographic groups, you will not be respected.
- · If you use more than you produce or accept handouts, you are of no value to your society, and cannot expect to be treated as an equal.
- · If your demographic group makes up 12% of the population and accounts for 49% of all homicides, and if 93% of those murders are committed by other people in the same demographic group, your group is pathologically violent and should not be seen as equal to other less violent groups.
- · If it is safer to be in the military than in your neighborhood, enlist now. If you get through boot camp you will be treated as an equal.
- If you are blaming other people for your dysfunctional behavior, you have serious psychological problems, and don’t deserve to be treated as an equal.
Yourself To Blame by Mayme White Miller
And make you a bit ashamed
Often you will find out that
You have yourself to blame
And then the bad luck came
Why do we fault others?
We have ourselves to blame
Here is what we say
“Had it not been for so-and-so
Things wouldn’t have gone that way.”
I’ll tell you what to do
Make an examination,
You’ll find the faults in you…
So agree with the same
If you travel downward
You have yourself to blame
Rev. Paul Samson can be reached at email@example.com