Vetting: Desperate, Obama supporters portray all who look into his past as "birthers." Now they ridicule efforts to find how a pot-smoking slacker got into Columbia and Harvard.
But Obama's college records are a legitimate campaign issue. Mysteries abound, chiefly concerning his transfer to Columbia and ascension to Harvard. Voters, moreover, have had the benefit of knowing other recent Democrat White House hopefuls' course work and grades.
If there's nothing to hide, why not release these academic records?
Why is the White House stonewalling?
An objective press corps ought to be curious. But it has by and large refused to pursue the issue, even though it hectored George W. Bush to release his college transcripts.
Here are 10 reasons the electorate has every right to see Obama's records:
1. Liberal historians have crowned Obama "the smartest guy ever to become president." Prove it. We're not convinced. Neither are the millions of Americans who still can't find jobs, thanks to his failed policies. Let's see his course work. Did he get an F in Econ 101 while acing his Marxism classes? We wouldn't be surprised.
2. "We like to pretend IQ doesn't matter, but it really does with a lot of jobs — including the presidency," Smith College professor James Miller, who studies the effects of human intelligence on the economy, told the Washington Times. And running a country as big and complicated as America demands a very high IQ.
4. Obama's drug habits worsened at Oxy, where he toked on a three-foot bong and also snorted coke regularly. Professors say he took few notes in class and turned assignments in late. Yet somehow he managed to transfer to the more competitive, Ivy League Columbia. Did he benefit from affirmative action?
5. Appearing this week on Jon Stewart's "The Daily Show," Michelle Obama maintained that the president decided to transfer to Columbia "when he lost his father." "He really buckled down," she said, "and thought about how to use his life to the fullest." But he transferred in 1981 — a year before his dad died. So here we have another story that doesn't add up.
6. The first lady also expects us to believe Obama got his act together at Columbia. Only, he roomed with a cokehead (and now-recovering drug addict) who was best pals with the druggies Obama had hung out with at Oxy. Before transferring to Columbia, Obama stayed for three weeks at his wealthy druggie pal's home in Karachi, Pakistan.
7. While Obama graduated from Columbia with a poli sci degree, his cumulative grade point average is unknown. There are indications it was not very high. Yet somehow Obama got into Harvard Law. Northwestern University professor John McKnight wrote Obama a letter of recommendation after he begged for one. McKnight was not one of his professors, but a radical Chicago leftist who mentored him. He says Obama told him he couldn't get Columbia professors to endorse him due to lackluster grades.
8. The same year Obama graduated from Harvard, he got a book contract. He told his publicist he was "born in Kenya." Did he also tell Harvard he was foreign-born?
9. Another Democrat stonewaller, John Kerry, refused to turn over his college records during his 2004 White House run. He finally relented the next year, revealing several D's and a GPA nearly identical to Bush's. Yet Kerry was portrayed by the media as the mental giant in the race.
10. The Obama camp has hypocritically demanded GOP rival Mitt Romney turn over 10 years of tax records, which arguably are more personal than academic records.
Romney ought to issue a challenge to Obama by turning over his grades from Brigham Young University, where he reportedly graduated with a 3.97 GPA and highest honors, and from Harvard, where he simultaneously earned an MBA and law degree.